Re: Mutability of History. Re: kVA Effects on Broadway! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:21:10 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mutability of History.  Re: kVA Effects on Broadway! (fwd)

>>> Guglielmo Marconi gets lions share of credit for radio
>>>
>>      He made it work, sold it, got it Really Going.
>>      While Tesla was annoying J P Morgan enough that the money
>>      got cut off.
>>
>I have to disagree with one part of the statement, Marconi was backed by
>a very wealthy but fairly technologically ignorant family, the
>experiment that first got him noticed was basically just a hertz setup,
    After which Marconi worked, getting equipment up, running, selling it to
    shipping interests, navies, etc.

>it didn't even have any real tuned circuits unlike tesla's apparatus,
>and by the time Marconi's devices really  got him the money he was
>already infringing on Telsa's patents,
    These situations are a lot less linear than sometimes simplified
    popular reporting indicates.  Parallel development is the norm.
    Tesla, for whatever reason, did not get working systems in place,
    doing work, communicating.  Marconi did.  As did dozens of others.
    (Hint: I have a dozen or so wireless histroy books, writ before 1912...)

>granted he did help the technology along and I'm sure he did contribute
> a few discoveries of his own, but he was mostly a opportunist using someone
> else's ideas and backed by very wealthy friends and family.
     The history is a deal more complex than that.

> Marconi WAS given alot more credit than he deserved and Tesla was not nearly
> given enough.
     Tesla, as I noted deserves more.  Marconi, I suggest, need not be downplayed
     to accomplish this.

     best
      dwp