Re: Lightning strikes monitor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:49:37 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Lightning strikes monitor

I am involved peripherally in a building that may be subject to lightning
strikes.  It is the Leaning Tower of Gingin in Western Australia and has had
the foundations laid. It is at the Gravity Discovery Center where I have 4
running displays (lifter, ferrofluid, maglev and can crusher).
http://www.gdc.asn.au/futureprojects.php

I had in mind that if the lighning rod at the top was copper for part of the
segment, that a rogowski coil could nicely measure lighning strikes
current/time profile if attached to a datalogging computer.  I already have
experience with measuring 100kA discharges with my coinshrinker and lighning
is in this ballpark.
http://tesladownunder.com/CanCrushing.htm#Measurement%20of%20high%20current%20pulses

The copper (or aluminium) rod needs to be done in construction (I am not
going to climb up there afterwards).  Any comments?

Peter