Re: Soljacic wins $10k MIT Young Scholar Award (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:59:35 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Soljacic wins $10k MIT Young Scholar Award (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
    It is sad for several reasons.  Although it's hard to prove one way
or another this group came from way out in left field [read that another
discipline besides electrical engineering or physics] and derived
expressions for the transfer of power between two resonant circuits.
That much may be original work or it may be merely rephrasing of things
they already knew - no way to say but give them the credit for being
honest.  They are certainly guilty of exceedingly shoddy research in
several areas.  First, although they quote the name Tesla the patent
they quote is a late one and is not related to resonant coupling of
power - they flat out missed the correct patents and probably did some
kind of a name search without bothering to read what they came up with.
Second, they are apparently unaware that by the time of the application
for that patent there was already a large and growing electric power
distribution system in the US and all other countries.  Third, they
somehow or other found a lot of papers on non-resonant inductive
coupling of power but seem unaware of the literally millions of devices
[RFID units] around which use resonant coupling.to get power from a
transmitting source [coil excited with high frequency].  Fourth, they
didn't realize that the phenomenon they discuss was demonstrated
publicly by Oliver Lodge as far ago as 1889, more recently by Tesla in
both New York and at Colorado Springs.  Fifth, they didn't discover that
the subject of resonant coupling was analyzed thoroughly by Paul Drude
at the turn of the 20th century and that the expressions they come up
with can be shown to be identical to the ones he derived.  Sixth, they
didn't discover that the subject and exactly equivalent equations are
covered in just about every textbook or handbook on wireless or radio
engineering published since 1906.  Seventh, they didn't discover that
just about every radio transmitter ever built uses an identical system
to couple the output to the antenna.  Pictures from before 1910 show
arrangements of coils essentially identical to theirs.  The list goes on
and on and on.

    Unfortunately they have somehow generated a lot of interest among
"science writers" [people who know a lot of scientific sounding words
but don't know anything about the topics they cover] and has gained
publicity seeming to offer hope of something useful which simply can
never be.  The wording is arcane and contrived in every sense, almost as
if they are trying to disguise what they are writing about so that an
informed reader will somehow thing the work is new.  Beyond that, they
call their transfer equipment "non-radiative" when in fact it radiates
plenty and would cause intolerable interference is allowed to operate.
Furthermore they imply that somehow the relative geometry of transmitter
and receiver is relatively unimportant, a bad and misleading statement.

    Perhaps the most unfortunate thing about the whole affair is that
such a prestigious outfit as MIT has, collectively, made a fool of
itself over and over again.  This subject has been discussed on several
mail lists on at least three continents and has been the source of great
amusement and disbelief in the engineering and physics departments of at
least three universities.

Ed

This horse should be really dead by know but somehow or other it seems
to keep kicking in the public press..........................