RE: mysterious coil failure / M and k Measurement (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:39:33 +0000
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: mysterious coil failure / M and k Measurement (fwd)

Hi Kurt:

It's a worthy goal to modify this measurement technique to eliminate the electrocution hazard.  But it's not clear to me that it's possible to achieve this without the use of a resistive ballast such as the hair dryer.  Placing a 6 volt transformer secondary across most TC primary coils would be essentially a short circuit and exceed the transformer's current rating.  Even if the transformer was driven with a Variac, I would worry that there might still be some non-linear behavior driving a near short-circuit, resulting in non-sinusoidal waveforms and inaccurate measurements with common DMM's.

Or, are you proposing to still use a suitable (?) ballast on either the primary or secondary side of the xfmr, and make sure that the xfmr secondary current remains well below its rating?  What is the minimum TC primary current that results in an induced TC secondary voltage high enough to stay above the noise?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA