Re: Fried Caps? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:13:04 -0700
From: huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fried Caps? (fwd)

Victor -

Unfortunately, your capacitors are not capable of handling the current in
your primary circuit. Of all the GE type 42L capacitors, the .01uF/3KV parts
(42L4103) are probably the worst choice for use in a Tesla coil tank
circuit.

These metallized-film caps have an RMS current rating of only 2 amps, and a
peak current rating of only 28 amps (at 100KHz). These also have by far the
highest ESR of all the 42L caps, which will aggravate internal heating.
Finally, they have a very small body diameter, which means that the lead
contact area with the edges of the metallized plates is relatively small.
The usual failure mode with these caps is burning away of the edges of the
plates at the end of the body. Run within their ratings, these caps are
reliable, but they don't seem to have a lot of margin for handling peak
current beyond their ratings.

You'd be much better off using the well-proven film-foil Cornell-Dubilier
940C series caps, and selecting a value (like 0.1 or 0.15uF) that has a peak
current rating of 100 amps or more. Use one of the Tesla coil design
programs to determine the peak current in your tank circuit; this will tell
you how many parallel strings you need to safely handle the current.

Also, in your photo there is a second vertical wire at the left-hand side of
the photo, running under the caps. At least one cap is resting directly on
this wire. This is bad, as the body of the capacitor has only a thin layer
of insulation  over the outer foil. Each cap should have at least 3/8" of
air gap all around it, particularly to any conductive surface.

Regards,
Scott Hanson