Fried Caps? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:11:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Victor Valencia <victor_valencia2@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fried Caps?

 Hi,

  I have a pretty basic TC that I built
a couple of years ago.  It worked great
in the beginning but I am having issues
with the Tank Cap.  Here are the
design parameters:

NST 12Kv, 30mA
Spark Gap: copper tube-based, 9 gaps with @20 mils/gap
Tank Capacitor: 77x GE 42L 3kv, (7 strings of 11 caps) (.0066 uF total)
Secondary Coil - 3.25" diameter, 801 turns 24 awg wire
Top Load: 4.5" diameter aluminum ducting. total dia = 15"

The problem I am having is that random capacitors just seem
to heat up, melt, and/or catch on fire (lovely show, pic
attached)

Should I reduce my gap?  I thought that a 12kv
input with 33kv for each cap string would be enough of
a safety factor.  Is there some minimum spacing
I should keep between the adjacent capacitors and/or
the caps in the next string?

Victor

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com