Re: more MOT calc trouble (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:47:24 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: more MOT calc trouble (fwd)

Hi Kris,

Sorry, to get to this late (involved in some offline discussions). The
inductance meter is "not" going to give you accurate readings. The small
9V battery and oscillator circuit in the meter just can't excite the
iron core to a degree needed to take direct measurements from the meter.
You've got to pass some real current through the transformer to
accomplish that. I learned this by doing and Terry Fritz was kind enough
to hold my hand at the time.

On a particular MOT experiment for a Microsim model, I wanted to measure
the MOT to properly insert the transformer. I measured 0.0173mH for
input inductance with my LCR. Well, that would indicate the open circuit
current would be:

240 / (2 x pi x 60 x 0.0173) = 37 amps!!

Obviously, way too high! Terry told me to measure the input current under a no load condition with the 240Vac input and measure the current. Once I did that, I could find the input inductance as:

L = 240 / (377 x I)

He was right. You'll find your meter is vastly different from the real case. Since then, I've used these particular open and short circuit tests for transformer modeling. However, the LCR is a great meter to have for numerous coil experiments, so if you did win the item, it's a good tool to have in your arsenal.

Take care,
Bart