RE: Source for cooling? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 23:07:20 -0700
From: Dave Halliday <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Source for cooling? (fwd)

Two nits:

Scott -- Nick mentioned that this was a Peltier Fridge.
This is the correct description of what you are looking to explain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

Nick -- Unfortunately, these are only about 5% to 10% efficient and they
will only support a gradient of about 40 degrees.  A Rankine compressor
(standard refrigerator) is about 50% to 60% efficient.  If you need to cool
anything more than 20-30 watts, you need to look at something other than
Peltier junctions.

Read the first part of this PDF:

http://www.tinaja.com/glib/hack68.pdf

And this entire PDF (for general info)