Re: Overvolting an NST? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:23:20 EDT
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Overvolting an NST? (fwd)

In a message dated 10/19/2007 7:12:19 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

How high  can the primary of an NST safely go before risking damage? I've
got a 240  to 15kV NST (60Ma) and my variac can give me up to 300volts on
the primary.  Can I push it this far or would the tolerance be lower?

--
Ben  Buxton - Random Network Person

Ben,

That should be OK to do, although it's more stressful to the NST than  using
the specified voltage input.  It's best to keep run times short when  using
NST's for Tesla coil use anyway.  Thirty seconds maximum is  good.  The
danger to the
primary is from excessive heating.  The secondary voltage may go too  high
under certain operating conditions and cause failure.  A Terry filter  is
helpful.
Static gaps should not be set too wide.  A synchronous 120 bps rotary  works
well.

 _http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html_
(http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html)

John