Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:46:07 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

You may be right - I didn't do a thorough gap timing analysis before.
Let's plug in some actual numbers for your system. Your proposed tank
cap (Cp) is 16.7 nF, the DC storage cap (Cs) is 400 nF, and the charging
choke (Lc) is 25 mH. Let's assume that the DC resistance of the charging
choke is relatively low - say 10 ohms or less, so we have a high Q under
damped LC charging circuit. During the charging interval, Cs and Cp are
connected in series with Lc. The combined series capacitance is about 16
nF, and the resonant frequency (Fc) of the LC circuit will be about 7950
Hz. Because of the dequeing diode, we know that charging will be
complete in 1/2 cycle (at Fc), or about 63 usec. This is the electrical
"dwell time" we need to insure that Cp completes a resonant charging
cycle.

Referencing a picture of your gap:
http://tangent.cluenet.org/~chules/pictures/4/100_0628.JPG

The tungsten electrodes look to be 1/8" in diameter, and the radius of
rotation appears to be about 4". If your gap rotates at "X" RPM, each
revolution will take 60/X seconds, and each degree of rotation will take
1/360th of this, or 1/X*6 seconds. The "mechanical" (edge-edge) overlap
of the 1/8" diameter electrodes will subtend a total arc length of twice
the electrode diameter (or 0.25 inch). This is equivalent to about 3.6
degrees at a 4 inch rotational radius. The simple "mechanical" overlap
time, expressed as a function of RPM, will be:

Mechanical Dwell time = 3.6/(6*X) seconds

Creating a table of mechanical dwell versus RPM:

RPM	Dwell (usec)
===	===========
1000	597
2000	298
3000	199
4000	149
5000	119
6000	99.5
7000	85.3
8000	74.6
9000	66.3
10000	59.7
11000	54.3

So, it looks like you are indeed correct - there should be more than
enough time to resonantly recharge the tank cap when operating at
"reasonable" RPM's. BTW, I would NOT recommend running the lashed up
configuration at anywhere near the maximum speeds available from your
angle grinder.

> Also, I have another question somewhat unrelated to this thread, but
> goes along with the University limits.  I obviously need an RF ground,
> but I'm not allowed to pound anything into the ground.  So, I need a
> counterpoise.  I have virtually no idea on what is acceptable here.  Is
> a 1ft x 1ft square covered in the middle with many layers of chicken
> wire acceptable?

If possible, use a counterpoise whose diameter is least 2X the combined
height of your secondary and toroid. Chicken wire, lots of radial wires,
and even aluminum foil/sheet, will all work. Even connecting to the
building's steel framework might work as a counterpoise (if you can
access it). In any event, the counterpoise should also be connected to
mains/building ground. Remember that anything in the vicinity of the
coil will "see" the E-field from your coil - ungrounded metal objects,
electrical equipment, speaker wires, etc. may develop voltages
sufficient to spark over/damage sensitive electronics.

> Thanks,
> Chris B aka. Crispy

Good luck - please keep us posted on your results.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured