Re: fFINAL REPORT Cu COIL vs Al COIL (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:39:32 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: fFINAL REPORT Cu COIL vs Al COIL (fwd)

Ed mentioned in one of the posts today that aluminum should be fine if a
larger diameter is used and he's absolutely correct. If you increase the
diameter of aluminum accordingly, you have an equivalent copper
conductor. In the primary coil, this is doable, but on the secondary,
the geometry and turns would be effected far more and may not be the
best thing to do (irregardless of losses). Both mechanical and
electrical to deal with in the secondary. You can of course ignore the
mechanical and just wind the same size with Al. The problem then is ACR
and DCR increases. Maybe a couple inch difference in spark length, but
even that is not a big deal (IMHO).

The main point in all of this testing is that "material directly affects
the coil by it's permeability". There is a difference between aluminum,
copper, or any other material used. Radio frequencies affect losses, but
it can be dealt with when using non-ferromagnetic materials and
certainly becomes a problem if using ferromagnetic materials.

To say that aluminum is bad for RF is not an intelligent statement. It
depends on the application (frequency, conductor size, shape, and current).

Take care,
Bart"

	I should mention that all of my thoughts concerned primaries.  I can't imagine any good reason for winding the secondary with aluminum, even if it were possible to find suitable wire.  Copper is fine and probably at least as cheap as insulated aluminum.

Ed