Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:50:53 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

Hi Adam,

The attraction is not very noticable. The dollar bill does need to
be reasonably stiff and balanced across your index finger, like
a see-saw board. Sometimes, folding it in half lengthwise can
help to make it stay stiffened out if the bill is a bit more worn.
When you bring a strong magnet under one side of the dollar
bill, it will slightly "dip" toward the magnet's pole surface. It is
not noticable unless you allow the magnetic attraction under
one side of the bill to "pull" it out of balance and the attrac-
tion will not be not nearly strong enough to lift up the bill at all.
Make sure that you do it indoors completely away from any no-
ticable air movement, as this will have a much stronger influence
on the very light note than the magnetic field. I just tried it with
a 2004 seiries $10 note and it does still work ;^)

David