Re: unusual secondary geometries (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 15:35:25 +0100
From: Chris Swinson <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: unusual secondary geometries (fwd)

Hey all,
     I stumbled across a web page advertising a square Tesla coil, the
secondary was round, but it got me thinking.  Would anything other than a
round secondary function properly, such as a square, or an ellipse, or an
octagon, or even something exotic like a star shape (if one was tricky, he
could interweave the windings in the same manner one draws a 5 point star
without lifting a pen, around 5 vertical poles)?  I would imagine breakout
would occur at any "corners" as viewed from above, not to mention it would
be a pain to construct.  Just musing.
Scott Bogard.

Tesla wound cone shaped coils. Though I do not see a square one working to
well.

Makes me wonder really about the primary coil also.
http://www.future-technologies.co.uk/IMPULSE/hotstreamer/room/img76.gif  I
tried a oval type one and it seemed to work really well. In fact where the 2
cut out circles are in the center, one coil was placed over the hole so the
secondary was not in the center at all. It seemed to tune a lot better than
my  circular primary coils. I never investigated it, though I do not think
anyone else has either.

Chris