Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 06:34:17 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

Yes and no.

The inductance is due to the interaction of the magnetic field of one
part of the inductor with other parts of the inductor, and, obviously,
the location where current flows affects that magnetic field.  Skin
effect results in AC currents flowing more towards the surface than in
the core of the conductor. If the current distribution is different,
then conceivably the inductance will be different.

Here's a gedanken example:

Consider a two turn coil, with turn A and turn B beside each other
spaced at some distance S. First, assume that the wire is infinitely
thin.  The magnetic field that cuts across turn B due to the current
flowing in turn A is proportional to I/S.  Now, split turn A into two
parallel wires, spaced "d" apart, each carrying half the current (I/2).
   The field at turn B is now:
0.5*I/(S+d/2) + 0.5*I / (S-d/2) = I * 2*S/(S^2-(d/2)^2)  which is NOT I/S.

Skin effect is just like taking the current and splitting it into a
whole raft of little parallel wires arranged in a circle.

Now... for good conductors, the skin depth doesn't change much, so the
effect on the inductance will be small (square root of conductivity)...
probably much less than the accuracy of the usual inductance table/formulas

> Similarly, capacitance is not dependent upon the material of the
> conductor and only upon the geometry.  This assumes the dialectic
> remains the same in every way.

Depends on charge distribution, but in real devices of finite size,
there's always a parasitic L that's in series, and, that L varies with
the conductivity because of the change in current distribution.  Small
effect, though.

> Cooper-weld wire was developed as an engineering compromise.  Antennas
> for low frequencies, such as the Beverage, flat top and multi-curtain
> rhombic become physically large.  The use of copper-weld is a
> compromise between and among cost, strength, and r. f. resistance.

Copper clad steel has been around longer than antennas, I suspect.  The
primary use was for telegraph wires.