[TCML] Regulation Dangers was: Teslathons??? (Australian)

In a message dated 11/29/07 12:52:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
spoonman534@xxxxxxxxx writes:

----- Original Message ----
From: Jim Lux  <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:09:03  AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Teslathons???  (Australian)

-----Original Message-----

<snip>

I can relate to this one. Since propellants and motor design were 90% of
amateur rocketry, I was forced out of the hobby by the end of the 60's,  although
I can still design and machine a De Laval nozzle in my sleep and  could
probably still hot-cast a caramel/perchlorate grain in the basement if I  needed
to. ;^)

Likewise, it would be simple for the IIC (Idiots In Charge) to pass some
sort of law (to protect us) requiring only government-approved, factory-made,
sealed power supplies for Tesla coils,  while still allowing the  "hobbyists" to
"design" plastic tubes and toploads, and to fire them up only  under the
guidance of a "licensed expert" in a government-approved area.  :-P

I agree.. it would only take the stroke of a pen to start  regulating hv
experimentation.  Something like requiring a license or  certification
to handle voltages over some threshold (600 V).  The  same as I cannot
freely experiment with making explosives in my garage  (under a variety of
laws).

Fortunately, it too easy to make a Tesla coil from ordinary  household items,
so an outright prohibition would be impossible to enforce, but  annoyance
laws and threats of insurance regulations could force the hobby  underground,
making unsafe practices much more common and discourage many from  trying.

Matt D.