Re: [TCML] Large Plsma Tube

David
     I don't know too much about gas conductivities, but I think the
other two cents I have may be of use to you.  Neon has the lowest
conductivity of any pure gas, and produces a red color discharge.  I
believe Argon is next, and that makes a purple or even orangish or blue
discharge dependent on pressure.  You are going to need a pretty hefty
power supply for a tube of that size, I would not recommend DC, as it
may slowly damage the tube walls because of ion migration, and depending
on your setup, I may not make much light.  I think for a tube so large a
fly back transformer just won't cut it, I am sure your TC would do the
job quite nicely, but the display will be loud and very frantic (and
probably painful to touch).  Some problems you may run into involve
evacuating the tube, filling with gas, and then sealing it.  You should
not use any plastic as it may allow air molecules to leak through, only
metal or glass.  Most epoxies will outgas and spoil the discharge, but
after searching the net for a few years I've found one that doesn't, it
is supposed to be good to 10^-6 torr, and the table top fusor people use
it, so it should be good but I have not yet tested it (I cannot remember
what it is called, only that it is made by Loctite, and it is sold as a
general purpose epoxy.  I will check the box when I go home tomorrow and
send the information to you).  Do not bother with silicone, except for
short term testing.  My webpage for plasma colors should be very useful
to you, it shows lots of pictures of whats out there as far as gas
combos and what they look like.
http://bogard.110mb.com/Plasmaglobecolors.htm
My other Plasma globe pages should be useful to you as well.  Mark Dunn
can tell you where to get gases.  Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Scott Bogard.