Re: [TCML] Sec design trade-offs and considerations

In a message dated 11/24/2007 7:56:50 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Though using resonance you
>do not necessarily need to run  the IGBT's at 50khz or more. This is the
idea
>I am working on with my  "high Q design".. I run an SCR which triggers at
>100hz and pumps power  into a resonant circuit of 2mhz.. In simulations it
>works great...  real world........ Well not sure until I finish building it!

>It is  no different really than the 50hz NST pumping into a 100khz primary
>circuit... the spark gap is still make/breaking at 50hz but the  frequency
>"through" the device is a lot faster... Actually my SCR  design only runs at
>100hz and discharges the tank cap into the primary  in less than a single
>cycle so as soon as the current drops in the  tank low enough, the SCR turns
>off. Energy is trapped into the primary  LC which has a resonance of 2mhz...
>The secondary is also 2mhz so the  primary should drain over the next set of
>cycles and charge the  secondary as normal.
\

Chris,

It sounds to me that you're planning to use the SCR to replace the  spark
gap.  The tank will ring down while the SCR is turned *on*.   The SCR will
extinguish when the energy rings down sufficiently.  If this is  what you
plan, it's not a new idea.  I've used SCR's in this way in Tesla  coils,
Lou B. has done it, Malcolm W. has done that and probably others  too.
Terry's SISG coils use the same concept except he used an IGBT  which
is kept on during the transfer time.  The overall concept being that  the
solid state
device is not switched at the RF frequency, but rather at the  break-rate
frequency.

John