Re: [TCML] RSG disks - who can make them ?

John,

One of the experimental methods I used in the past to explore the  effects
of various dwell times was to use offset electrodes. This concept is hard to explain in writing. The basic idea is that as the electrodes at one side
of the rotor are coming into alignment, the electrodes at the other  side
are just separating.  The result is that the dwell is zero.  I  found
this actually was helpful with the particular gap system I was using.
Without the offset the coil drew about 16amps input.  With the offset  in
place, the coil drew 13amps.  To create this offset, the electrode at  one
side is moved by a distance of 2X the electrode dia., in a radial direction.
Only the fixed (non-rotating) electrode is moved, not the spinning  ones
on the rotor.  The spinning rotor electrodes are kept at positions  180
degrees opposed as is normal.  But the fixed electrodes are no  longer
placed at exactly 180 degrees opposed.  In any case this method  is
good for creating a zero-mechanical dwell system without the need
for a large electrode disc.  The electrodes tend to wear quickly  however
because of the sparking at the electrode edges.  I simply ground  the
electrodes back to shape every so often and continued the research.
Quenching remained at the 3rd notch because the spark simply
stretched at the electrodes.  Secondary streamer lengths  remained
the same in these tests.

John

That sounds like a great idea. I think I understand what you mean, making a movable fixed gap should not be to hard to work out.

I think if the spark is being drawn out more than this is a additional loss. How are you looking at the setup though, if dwell time is not effecting spark output ( in theroy it should as talked about before) but as the quench is always the same speed ( arc drawing) then it counteracts any attempt at dwell times. Though if you can go form 16amps to 13amps and still get the same spark output, then this must be a good thing ?

I also think it will be alot harder the more tank cap is used (current) I plan to use 5nF 20KV for my testing so I hope to remove the drawn spark problem allowing me to do more accurate dwell time testing... I also plan on using 1mhz frequency just to confuse matters even more!

Chris