RE: [TCML] RSG disks - who can make them ?

Hi Chris:

> I do not think anyone has really experimented with break rates/dwell times.

I strongly disagree.  People who use asynchronous RSG's experiment with various break rates all the time, by simply varying the motor RPM.  Higher break rates tend to give hotter, brighter streamers (assuming that the power supply can charge the cap fast enough) simply by delivering more power to the streamers.  If the RPM is too low, the dwell time is extended and it's possible to achieve multiple, smaller bangs per presentation - an undesirable thing.  As has been previously stated, attempting to accelerate quench by reducing dwell times by increasing RPM is futile, as the spark will stretch following presentation until the gap voltage or current is insufficient, and the gap is good and ready to quench.

> Can anyone make (for me) a 24" RSG disc

I'll not try to discourage you too much, as much can be learned even by performing failed experiments.  I've also made some large and silly failed attempts at an SRSG, and am wiser for doing so.  Please be aware that such a large disk at high speeds has tremendous potential to cause injury, particularly if made of wood!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA