Re: [TCML] Re: Spark gap Resistance

In a message dated 11/20/2007 9:13:54 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

John,

>> The conclusion however was that energy should  be delivered rather
>> quickly to the secondary and  toroid.

>But this is not possible with a spark gap system I take it  ?.....

Chris,

Spark gap systems deliver the energy pretty quickly especially
when using tight coupling.

>.. it is
>back to the point that higher currents across the  spark gap should be
>better...... but if the losses are more with more  current then the current
>cycles must be a lot lower...... this also  brings us back to conduction
>times across the spark gap , that the  longer it conducts the more power is
>lost...

>It would be  far easier to accept the spark gap as working better at higher
>currents (maybe supports the claims that larger coils work better,  higher
>tank cap values.. more current etc).... Though unless real  testing can be
>done with spark gap currents then I guess we will never  know for sure.... I
>know I would sleep a lot better at night if the  spark gap could work better
>at higher currents!

Spark gaps work pretty well at high or low currents.  The large  coils mostly
are more efficient because there are smaller losses in the  transformer
and in the wiring, I think.  There may be some issues with spark  growth too,
I don't know.   Various folks have done various tests of  various things, but
yes it's difficult to remember it all sometimes, unless one is  thoroughly
organized.  Don't let it affect your sleep  :^)

It seems experimental work has slowed greatly among our
list members.  I haven't done any TC work lately either.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the results of your projects  as
you complete and test them.

John