Re: [TCML] Slow progress.

Not a performance difference, but each has it's use. Flat is easy, far away from the top terminal, and coupling is the least aggravated by it's geometry. Cones are fine as long as it's a shallow angle. As the angle is increased, the coupling increases for the same horizontal distance from the coil as compared to a flat coil. But also, cones naturally allow the primary to be compacted towards the secondary, so the coupling is even higher due to that geometrical change.

Where higher coupling is permissible, then cone and helical coils offer a coupling advantage. But, from a performance standpoint, I have never seen anything to suggest increased performance. It's all about balancing the energy transfer over time without over stressing the secondary that would cause breakout somewhere along the secondary (racing sparks).

Take care,
Bart

Tim Meehan wrote:
Ah - I see what you mean about how you used them - I think that I could
probably get my drill and a saw and attempt one.

Is there any real difference between the performance of a flat coil primary
and a inverted cone shape primary?