Re: [TCML] Calculate Output Voltage

In a message dated 11/15/07 6:39:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mrclivehansen@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knows of a formula  to calculate the
secondary voltage of a Tesla coil. The only one I thought  to try was
Vout=(Vin/Pri)Sec which should work with a standard transformer  if Vout
is voltage out, Vin is volts in, Pri is primary turns, and Sec is
secondary turns. However, this seems to be returning an extremely high
voltage.

Thanks,
Clive

Hi Clive,

You're right. It's Wrong. That formula is correct for non-resonant,
iron-core transformers with coupling coefficient close to 1.00. A better  theoretical
value is Vs=Vp x sqrt(Ls/Lp), where L is the inductance, and  this is an upper
limit. Hitting 80% of this value requires a very well  designed and tuned
coil.

Hope this helps,

Matt D.