Re: Why is the coil being weird???? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:06:25 -0600
From: David Dean <deano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why is the coil being weird???? (fwd)

Hi Jay

What kind of bolts? If they are iron or steel The thermal "resistance" as well
as the electrical resistance will be quite a bit higher than brass/bronze or
copper. When I first started with a polemount distribution transformer I had
a single static gap made of brass rods 3/4 inch in diameter. It took all the
air my shop compressor could deliver to quench, or more to the point, to blow
out the gap. The compressor is 5HP two stage and rated 17 CFM free air and 14
CFM at 90 PSI.  The flaming arc driven out by the air blast would extend 5 or
6 inches above the gap. Still I had to keep run times short as the compressor
would need to catch up after only a minute or so.

Oil burner ignition transformers are usually rated something like 23 mA, so if
yours are typical then five in parallel would be 115 mA which could deliver
sufficient power to heat those bolts rather quickly (assuming steel) and if
they have any markings on the heads, or if you are using the other ends where
the threads start, the high points will keep the arc in the same place all
the time. This can make one or more hot spots which may even become
incandescent.  Heat sinks on the outside of the tube would not help much in
that case.

Most folks using a static gap at higher power levels recommend a multi section
gap like the RQ style which spreads the spark over several electrodes and
offers a large surface area for heat dissipation. Copper pipe section or
copper pipe couplings are usually the preferred material.

It could be a failure in the capacitors, either shorting out or heating up and
changing value which throws the tuning off, but my experience with homemade
capacitors is that once they start to fail they just don't come back. I had
some homemade rolled polyethylene and aluminum flashing under oil and they
died hard and fast.

Another possibility might be something in the primary circuit is getting hot
and "spoiling the Q" or increasing the resistance in the circuit. Causes for
that would be using too small gauge hookup wire, cheesy alligator clips,
using iron wire to wind the primary, etc.

The symptoms you describe however sound most like the spark gap is heating up
and power arcing rather than quenching.  Only a better gap or a significant
reduction in power will help. You might try just one OBIT or maybe two and
see if the coil runs better/ lasts longer.

later
deano