RE: [RE]mains filter (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:28:43 +0000
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RE]mains filter (fwd)

Indeed - it's something of an embarrassment that we really don't have a
solid understanding of exactly what it is that we're trying to filter out!
There's the resonant frequency of the coil, but all of the EMI filters
that I've seen really aren't designed to attenuate frequencies that low.
Then there are harmonics up as high as one can imagine.  An EMI filter
probably is useful there.  My main concern is that high voltage transients
that might cause damage to other appliances are attenuated.  Are MOV's
useful, or are these ill-defined transients too fast?  I really don't care
if TV reception in my house is disrupted for the 60 seconds that I'd run
my coil.  But truthfully, I'm just shooting in the dark, as I have no idea
how to measure any of this.  How can I evaluate if my RF ground is
adequate?  No idea.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA