Re: FUN Electronic Kits, EICO, Heathkit, Allied, etc. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:24:57 -0800
From: Grant Stockly <grant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FUN Electronic Kits, EICO, Heathkit, Allied, etc. (fwd)

>Why is there no FUN electronic kits available any more?

I thought the same thing in late 2004.  I read too many books about
the birth of the computer hobby and I wanted to experience it myself!  But how?

By the end of 2006 I had finished a hobby project of recreating the
Altair 8800.  Might be able to reduce the price on this one.

http://www.altairkit.com/

This June I finished building a reproduction of the Kenbak-1 (with
the help of the creator) and a replica of the Altair 680.

http://www.kenbakkit.com/
and
http://www.altair680kit.com/

None of these are HV related, but there are people out there like me
spending WAY too much free time.  : )

These 3 kits allow you to feel like you're actually soldering in
1975.  : )  They are pretty expensive...but there is just no way to
do it any cheaper.  : (  There are some cheaper computer electronic
kits from people like Vince Briel that are cheaper.  The difference
between my kits and his are that his function like the vintage stuff
and my kits are identical to the originals.

Grant