Re: questions about tank capacitor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 19:14:32 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: questions about tank capacitor (fwd)

Hi Dan,

A 15/30 NST is excellent choice for a first coil. Ramping up the input
voltage is fine and does give you some control over the coil. Your tank
cap value for a static gap of 0.008uF is what you want. But there's a
little confusion:

The LTR value is identified as a percentage above the capacitance value
that would cause the transformer to resonate at the line frequency of 50
or 60 Hz operation. The LTR value is not affected because the resonant
capacitance is not affected by the applied voltage. The transformer will
reflect the load impedance back to the primary side as a function of the
turns ratio squared. This occurs regardless of the applied voltage. One
could always nitpick subtle changes which do occur due to non-linear
currents, leakage, etc.., but for practical purposes, the resonant
capacitance is unchanged.

I use a variac to ramp up my coils as well. Works great and with a
variac you can boost that input voltage to about 140 Vac input which
gives a slight boost to the output.

The mutligap is a good choice also. Makes sure you have plenty of
airflow (important).

Take care,
Bart