RE: twin coil transmission lines (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:53:00 -0600
From: S&JY <youngs@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: twin coil transmission lines (fwd)

David,

1) Keep in mind you get about a 1.4 streamer length multiplier between the
toroids of a twin.  I believe this more than makes up for losses in the
lines connecting the two primaries.

2) I use three telescoping rigid copper pipe sets - two for the primary and
the third for the ground.  These go straight between the two coils.  The MMC
& spark gap are under one of the two coils.  The telescoping pipes allow a
large range of spacing between the two coils.  Where the pipes telescope,
the larger one has 4 "V"s cut in it so a hose clamp brings the outer pipe
into low resistance contact with the inside pipe.  It works very well.

3) I suspect you can consider the transmission line to be similar to an
off-axis coil in series with the primary.  It affects tuning, but the losses
aren't that significant.

--Steve Y.