Re: Car Ignition Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:42:36 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Car Ignition Coil (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: List moderator <mod1@xxxxxxxxxx>

    Hard to give any useful reply without more information on the
circuit you're using.  Sounds as if you're connecting it to a
low-voltage source (battery?) and talking about the coil output; if so
you should expect a single spark each time you BREAK the circuit.  That
would be normal and a 1" spark is pretty good if you're talking about
the ignition coil output.  Not clear where the 10 ufd capacitor is
connected..................  If you want to use a low-voltage source you
need some form of interruptor circuit to make and break the circuit and
you'll find plenty of those on the web and in the archives.  Some of the
others here have suggested using the "light-dimmer" approach to powering
the coil from mains power and that works fine although 10 ufd is a
pretty large capacitor (try 3 ufd or so and make sure the voltage rating
is at least 600 volts) and running with it would probably end up with a
shorted dimmer, a fried coil, and smoke.

    If you're talking about some kind of TC then you need to give us a
lot more circuit details to get any worthwhile advice at all.  The
primary capacitor for that coil would be more in the vicinity of 0.01
ufd and of an entirely different construction to keep the RF losses down.

Ed