Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The MTSG Metlicka Triggered Gap... (fwd)

Bart,

<SNIP>
> >I have a friend who is considering construction of
> >MTSG, as an upgrade to his static gap.  He is
> running
> >a single 12/60 NST.  I just thought I would ask
> around
> >and get an update, plus I was curious about why
> that
> >design just seemed to fall out of favor.  You and
> John
> >have provided a lot of things to think about.
> >

> I think your friend should build one. A 12/60 is a
> perfect sized tranny
> for a TSG. That is certainly in the realm of the
> TSG's power. I would
> recommend he build a large pipe gap (1.25" x 4"
> piping) for the
> electrodes. The thermal dissipation is excellent
> with a decent fan and
> can handle a 12/60 very well for maximum spark
> output. I no longer
> endorse the small copper tubing (it just sucks
> compared to larger tubing
> and thermal dissipation is why). I know I'm nobody,
> just a garage coiler
> like many here, but if I were somebody, that is what
> I would recommend
> from my experience.

Well, the knowledge of coiling you gain from years of
experience makes you somebody in my book...plus, I
don't know how many people have benefitted from your
JavaTC.  Thanks for that!!

It's going to be helping me with the DRSSTC I'm
working on currently...my DRSSTC-1.

> I once built a large copper tube gap like this that
> sucked. The reason
> was airflow. Once I got the airflow high enough,
> good things happened
> from that point. That's what I like about RSG's,
> they are spun through
> the air at high velocity, and a fan is unnecessary.
> It always comes down
> to thermal stability.

Absolutely.  Running without a fan is nice.

> You're never to old to try something
> different than the norm.

I agree, especially if you learn and benefit from the
experience, be it positive or disappointing.

I will definetely recommend the MTSG for my friend
Dan.

Cheers!
Brett

____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.