Re: Teletype motor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 23:14:04 EDT
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Teletype motor (fwd)

In a message dated 5/14/2007 7:49:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Using an  unmodified Staco Type 291 (3A, .4 kVA), my  little Oriental
motor  gets a full 45 mechanical degrees of adjustment. I  verified this with
good digital stroboscope with no "drift". It takes the  entire  adjustment
range
of the variac to do so.
It was very  picky about the value of the additional  cap.
I did  discover, with the good stroboscope, that the  Oriental is in fact
a  hysteresis type. When it restarts, it is in a different  shaft position.
However, using it as a standard 1800 rpm/120 bps/4 stationary   electrode
Blake
prop gap, it always starts at the same phase angle, no  matter  which
electrode
it starts near.

-Phil  LaBudde

Phil,

Are you sure then that it is a hysteresis motor?  It sounds to  me
like it is *not* a hysteresis motor.  A true hysteresis  motor will lock
into random phases, not phases that are 90 degrees separated.
An 1800rpm motor that locks at only 90 degree positions is a  typical salient
pole or reaction type sync motor.

I realize that folks often say that a salient pole or reaction motor
always locks up in the same phase position.  This however is not
true.  What is meant is that the motor always locks into a  correct
phase position.  For an 1800 rpm motor, there are 4 correct  phase
positions, and for a 3600 rpm motor there are 2 correct phase  positions.
By *correct*, I mean correct for use in synchronous spark gaps
for Tesla coil use.

It sounds like you did a good job selecting your cap value for the
phase shifter circuit.

John