Flourescent tubes, no resistance?

Original poster: "M G" <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone, a while ago I found out that flourescent tubes offer no resistance to electricity. They must be current ballasted to operate at the desired amperage. Hooking a mains line directly across a tube will allow full current draw until the breaker pops. That is if the tube doesnt blow up first. Not sure if it would do that, but it seems possible.

My questions is, is it possible to use a flourescent tube as a high voltage connection for a small tesla/medium tesla coil? Better yet, some kind of wire that is gas filled, but I'm not sure if such a thing is even on the market. Where I see this to be useful is in long connections leading to say, the primary coil. Or for instance, assume that a ground connection is very far away. Some type of gas filled electrical connection could be used to connect to the far away distance without any added resistance.

Of course the obvious problems with using a flourescent tube or type of gas filled connection is that eventually the gas would burn out, correct? So the connections would not be permanent, of course, and would have to be replaced periodically. I guess the real question is, how thick of a metalic conductor, say copper, is needed to get rid of noticable resistance, and would this even be worth trying?

Love Games? Gamesville is Waiting for You... Free Online Games, Fat Cash $ Prizes Plus Bingo, Solitaire, Poker & Much More! <http://www.gamesville.com?if_Event=LYCOSMAILgvilletxt>http://www.gamesville.com