Re: A few problems..[No problems this time]

Hi Matt,

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "M G" <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>

Bart, there was one time that I ran the coil without the ground connection. I did this to show another person that there is no electricity connected to the secondary coil through the ground wire, and that the energy transfer takes place through electromagnetic induction. It's likely this is when the problem started.. I will try without the inside loops and see if that prevents the problem. The burn mark sanded off easy enough. I have looked through Home Depot for PVC end caps and have yet to find them. Still trying to find a thicker piece of plastic that can be cut into two end caps. The previous end cap, made with the plant pot water catch plate, was not thick enough.

It's true electromagnetic induction between coils is how energy is coupled from one to the other, but there are also ground currents. The ground itself is part of the resonator circuit capacitively coupled to the secondary. As a matter of fact, measuring base currents (the ground wire) is a means of viewing and measuring secondary waveforms (usually done with a current loop such which converts amps to volts). But in any respect, it may be possible that the ground wire dangling on the bottom without the direct connection caused the minor burn.

Take care,
Bart