Re: 304tl experiments...

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Brett,

 It certainly won't be a
matter of just plugging in a standary SCR with a 555
oscillator on the gate.  I think one of the 1000v 600a
IGBT bricks would be sufficient, probably overkill for
that duty.  Plus, the driver circuitry wouldn't be any
more sophisticated than the usual staccato.

Such an IGBT is completely wrong for this use.  It only needs to run a
few amps, but possibly very high voltages.  The proper way of
controlling this would be control of the grid.  Let me give it some
more thought later...

Steve