From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:35 PM
Subject: flyback transistor choice

Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,
     I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm
sure sombody out there will be able to help me.  I built a few of
those simple flyback drivers with the single 2N3055 transistor and I
have experienced a few problems.  They are a bit too weak to drive my
12in argon filled plasma globe, unless I parallel 4 transistors, and
that blows out my step down transformer (it pulls like 6 Amps, the
transformer is rated for 2, and a single transistor pulls about 1.8
A).  Is there a better transistor I can use?  or will I be forced to
get a huge step down transformer.  Any input would be appreciated,
and if this is the wrong list for this, I can go elsewhere, it is no
problem! (but I'm sure sombody out there knows what to do).
Scott Bogard
P.S.  the frequency shifts all over the place with just one, making
consistant plasma impossible at low pressures, but this goes away
with 3 or more transistors.  Also, I need a transistor that won't
make an audible scream, as my sister will kill me whenever I come
home (she hates the noise with a passion, I'm not too fond of it
eithor, which is why I like the 3055, it is reasonably quiet).  Thanks.