Re: Terry Filter Tuning

I talking about the usual range of nsts, approx 1-3 kVA. With typical small dia coilforms, ie, 4-6 inches, usual production is around 1 ft/kVA. With solid state around 1 ft/450 Watts.

Hope that clarifies it.

Dr. Resonance"

That doesn't seem right to me either. I have a small coil here (secondary 3.15" diameter x 15" long, wound with #30) and a 14" x 3" toroid on top. It puts out 24" streamers to a grounded spherical doorknob with 6.5 amps line current (@120 V) to a 12 kV, 60 ma NST and based on comments here at the time I built it I didn't think that was particularly good performance. The cylinder gap uses four sections of 3/4" copper pipe couplings.

I have a much smaller coil using a 2800 V, 20 ma NST which puts out pretty fat 4" streamers with about 150 watts (measured with electrodynamometer wattmeter) input and don't think that's stellar performance either.

Ed

P.S. I don't think quoting transformer ratings is much of an indication of power input when the transformers are operated as close to resonance as typical NST's are.