Re: first non NST coil questions

Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

Good question--just what is "high power"?  I've run my
6" x 30" coil at up to 7200VA using an 11kV pole
transformer and a copper pipe sucker gap.

http://hot-streamer.com/greg/vacgap.htm

I don't own a scope, so I don't know how well it was
quenching, but the coil ran fine.  I got strikes
inside my garage up to 7 feet.  It might've reached
out even farther, but the confines of my garage
precluded this.  Even on longish video/photography
runs, I noticed no decline in spark production.
Immediately after shutdown, the gap electrodes were
only warm to the touch.  I also ran MOT powered coils
up to 3kVA or so using said gap.  Despite the modest
voltage and high current, these ran for minutes at a
time with no decline in performance (36" to 60",
depending on particular coil, topload, etc.).  One
size doesn't fit all, and a pig-based coil may run
quite well using a simple sucker gap.  The only way to
know for sure is to try it.

Now that I reflect on it, Jared may be correct.
Quenching may be in the crapper.  However, this sort
of low-loss gap lends itself to higher tank Q,
possibly compensating for the poor quenching.  Jared
did say quenching was nearly impossible.  He did not
say the lack of quenching would cause poor
performance.  See Gary Lau's site for more info on
sucker gap behavior.

Greg

> Original poster: Justin <rocketfuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Hi Jared,
>
> What do you mean by high power levels?  A friend in
> town showed me his
> design which he claimed could withstand 5kVA pretty
> well.
>

> Justin
>

>  > Original poster: "Jared Dwarshuis"
> <jdwarshuis@xxxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > Hi: Justin
>  >
>  > It is nearly impossible to get high power levels
> to quench with a sucker
>  > gap.
>  >
>  >
>  > Sincerely: Jared Dwarshuis
>  >
>  > "If Tesla coils are outlawed, only outlaws will
> have Tesla coils"
>  > "They will get my pole pig when they pry it from
> my cold dead fingers"
>  >
>  >

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate