first non NST coil questions

Original poster: Justin <rocketfuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello!

I just acquired two potential transformers which I plan to use to add
more power to my coil.  I understand that these need to be current
limited and I'm starting to design my inductive ballast.  I'd like to
experiment with using a MOT primary with shorted secondary to begin
with, but will ultimately be constructing my own iron-cored ballast.

My question is regarding primary cap sizing when using a non-NST power
supply.  I know with the NSTs we have to worry about creating a resonant
condition between the tank cap and the secondary windings of the
NST.  What I am wonder is: does this problem not exist with
non-magnetically limited transformers?  How does one determine best
tank cap size when the LTR condition no longer exists?  Obviously it
needs to be matched to the primary L to resonate at the secondary
circuit's frequency, but what about inductive kick from the ballast
overvolting the tank cap?  It may be helpful to know that I am planning
to use a sucker static gap with this coil.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

Justin in Austin