RE: do it yourself caps --- an ozone health risk!

Original poster: "alfred erpel" <alfred@xxxxxxxxx>

Dave,

        I will jump in anecdotally here.  I had a Lionell train set 45 some
years ago.  And when I shorted the transformer, it would make deep purple
sparks and create a distinctive smell.  I liked the smell.  I shorted the
transformer often.  The sparks were very short because of the low voltage as
I wiped the frayed copper wire over the terminals.  I can't say if I have
suffered ill effects from that.  Others could maybe.  Also, I have that
"smell" in my memory.  I haven't smelled it since, but I can identify it
anytime.  Little did I know back then that huffing ozone was bad for you.

        I think there may be a corollation between the deep purple and ozone
creation because I've been around a lot of white sparks since and not
smelled that smell.

Regards,

Al Erpel  USA, PA, 18901

[snip-o-rama]