Re: Dual top loads

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/16/07 8:37:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Original poster: "Todd Reeve" <todd.reeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

While checking out pictures of coils different sites on the Tesla
Coil Ring, I noticed that some of the coils that use flexible
aluminum ducting for a toroid sometimes have 2 stacked toroids while
the coils that have a spun aluminum toroid have only one.  I surmise
that this is to increase the capacitance of the top load.  Is this
needed when using ducting since the wall thickness of ducting is thin
compared with a spun toroid?

Spun toroids are expensive, so folks often don't buy too many of them.
Ducting is cheap so it's easy to install multiple toroids.  The wall
thickness makes no difference in performance regarding spark
output lengths.    For a given toroid dia., spun
will often give longer sparks than ducting, unless the ducting
is smoothed out some.   It's true that multiple toroids will increase
the capacitance of the top load and will increase spark lengths,
(assuming adequate power is available).

   <http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html>http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

John