From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: My second coil attempt, advice?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:07:43 -0600

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm sure you'll get lotsa advise, but the biggest
thing I see is the AWG14 in your tank circuit. It's
fine to use smaller conductors from your transformer
to the tank, but once your spark gap conducts, you
want really big conductors involved. Consider using
1/4" tubing if you have any left. Forget about
insulation; just run your conductors with lotsa space.

Your primary has .75" spacing between turns? Is that
center to center, or clear space? In any event, unless
you're using higher than usual voltage, most folks use
the tubing diameter for the clear space, or twice the
diameter for the center to center diminsion.

As to your gap, bolts filed to a point are not the
best configuration. Consider a sucker gap like this:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/shopvac_gap.jpg

I've run it with a fair amount of pig power before. It
took over 20 kVA to melt it.

Good luck
Adam

Interest Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18466&moid=7581