Re: Copper VS Steel

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim,
The opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinion of the list haha..

Original poster: Jim <branley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Folks:
I do appreciate the great assistance with my tesla coil that I have
received from you.
Can I get your opinion on a few things?

1) Can I use 1" EMT (Electrical Metallic Tubing) for my spark gap
instead of 1" copper pipe?

this tubing is galvanized steel, right? It will probably work, but I have a couple reasons why I'd choose copper. First, the conduction around the pipe segments would have less resistance with copper than zinc, therefore less heating of the segments. I think zinc oxide is going to be formed quickly in the firing section and that is likely going to remove the galvanized coating. Don't know how well the steel works for making the sparks. Give it a try, if you have the pipe...the only thing you have to lose is time spent putting it together. Personally I think copper pipe is cheap enough...or even the sweat couplings to go with them, being they are tried n true.

2) Can I use zinc coated bolts and nuts for my secondary instead of
brass bolts and nuts? Zinc is what most bolts, nuts & washers are
coated with.

I would NOT use them. The zinc is not the problem, it is the steel underneath that will become heated in the rapidly oscillating magnetic field. I can only see trouble using steel bolts. Not only would this cause heat related troubles, such as the connection loosening and possibly even melting the coil form if it is pvc.

3) What does the term quenching refer to when speaking about spark
gaps?

Quenching occurs a couple of cycles of the primary's waveform. Basically it traps all the energy in the secondary and the spark gap stops conducting. This allows the tank capacitor to recharge while the secondary completes it's ringdown. There are several ways to 'help' this quenching...the easiest way is using a rotary gap because the electrodes become separated beyond breakdown distance of air. With static gaps the best way is to have as many gaps in series as possible and still have it fire properly. Either blowing or sucking air across the gaps can aid in faster quenching. There's a lot of very clever designs been made and shown by list members. It would seem the 'Richard Quick' gap is the most popular of designs.

Thanks for the informative help!
Jim
I'm sure you'll get plenty of other replies to this, read them all and decide for yourself what's the best answers.
Mike

Need Mail bonding?
Go to the <http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&sid=396546091>Yahoo! Mail Q&A for <http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&sid=396546091>great tips from Yahoo! Answers users.