Re: Thanks for the support

Original poster: Jim <branley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Brilliant explanation.
Now I can build my coil today.
Thanks for the help. I will try not to ask any dumb questions, like why does my meter read 118 amps when I plug it into a wall receptacle? How do you measure the voltage? Or can I use the metal drain grill at the bottom of my neighbors swimming pool for my rf ground. We thought it would be nice to run the coil while celebrating his 8 year old's birthday swimming party.
Jim
Hi Mike:
Thanks for the uplifting email. I have to admit that I have asked a few
dumb questions on this list.

I think I've got my hands wrapped around capacitor theory pretty well.
There are still a few questions about capacitors that loom in the back
of my head though.
When they are in series, how do they all fire at the same time. Is
there
not a delay for each capacitor to build a charge after it;s predecessor
fires?

You know? That is an interesting question. I would have to say that there is a cascade effect(best term I could think of here) when they discharge, but that it happens so fast that the delay is neglible. I don't think anyone has ever talked about this - at least not that I remember. For designing coils, it's important to realize that all the caps in a series string accumulate the same charge, so if you have one cap in a string with a significantly higher capacitance than others, it will have a proportioally lower voltage across it. Since the caps charge via dispacement current, I would hazard a guess that charging a string has that same small delay as they are charging, but again, the timeframe is so short that we ignore it. I could envision it like a bunch of double ended balloons connected in sereis by pipes and filled from one end with water. because hydrualically they should all see the same pressure instantly, they should fill equally, but because there would be some pressure drop in the pipes as filling they would fill in sequence to a small degree. Electrically, this would be much faster though...probably in picoseconds. Thanks for making me think so early in the morning.....might give a nosebleed haha.

Thanks and good luck with your next coil.
Jim
You too.
Mike

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news> in no time with theYahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut. <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news>