Re: Large MOT vs. Small MOT

Original poster: Dan Williams <coilerdude@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks David,

While I will definately build a Staccato circuit soon, for right now I don't have the money or the time.

I am mostly trying different tuning parameters to find the "sweet spots".
Allot of my time has been spent making small improvements to the coil lately and not tuning.

If I can get close to Brett's 813 results I will be happy. I know I can get better from this tube because I have seen it produce significantly more output in Brett Millers VTTC.

Our coils are very similar electrically but couldn't be much more different cosmetically.

I am mostly looking for suggestions on how I might improve the coil at this point.

Thanks again.

Dan

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "David Rieben"

Hi Dan,

I assume that you're running your coil in "continuous"
and not in "stacatto"? In continous mode, 12 to 14"
really ain't that bad for your setup. If you install a
stacatto circuit driver, you can run it at a much lower
duty cycle and therefore, run it at a much higher peak
power level without destroying your tube and thus, get
longer sparks in a "strobe light" effect.
Cameron Prince built my stacatto driver for me and
once I got the other wrinkles ironed out, I was able
get near 36" strobe-like sparks from my single 833A
driven coil. Cameron and I built our VTTCs roughly
from Steve Ward's 833A VTTC design and have both
obtained ~ 36" arcs with our coils in this manner.

David