Re: AC resonance circuit with DC electrolytic capacitors?

Original poster: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Al,

I have seen diode steering circuits that allow the use of electrolytic caps in audio AC circuits with some degree of success. However, the high frequency performance of electrolytic caps is very poor, and electrolytics tend to be rated for capacitances of hundreds of microfarads but dozens of volts at frequencies of a few kHz. OTOH, TC circuits require high voltages, and capacitances in small fractions of a microfarad at hundreds of kHz. Trying to build a TC with electrolytics is sorta like trying to use an earthmover as a missile interceptor --just not the right tool for the job. Even the type of dielectric makes a significant difference. Many inexperienced coilers have tried to use Glassmike mylar caps for TC work. Their voltage ratings and capacitances seem to be in about the right range, but the mylar dielectric has very poor high frequency characteristics, and they tend to explode messily in short order. Best to stick with mica transmitting caps or the CDE 942 series MMC caps, both of which have proven performance characteristics.
Dave

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "alfred erpel" <alfred@xxxxxxxxx>
Howdy all,
I fully realize I am posing this issue from a standpoint of incomplete knowledge (ignorance?). I was wondering if a circuit could be devised with clever usage of diodes, etc. which would allow the usage of two electrolytic capacitors to create a resonant circuit with and inductor(s?) such that the electrolytic capacitors would only be charged in the direction which they were designed for. If not, an explanation why this wouldn't work would be appreciated. Thank you.
Regards,

Al Erpel, 18901, PA, USA