Re: The simple problem with Tesla coiling now... Re: Xfmrs

At 11:12 PM 3/5/2007, you wrote:
Original poster: "Drake Schutt" <drake89@xxxxxxxxx>

While I think you are probably right in regards to HV components being accesible to the general public you might not be so optimistic. In regards to you comment on chemicals being widley available- the Consumer products saftey commision (which really shouldn't have the authority) has banned sales of oxidizers and many other chemicals that used to be common.

I think "restricted small quantity retail sales to consumers" might be a better way to describe it. Clearly, if I am in the business of using some oxidizer, I can zap a purchase order off to Acme Oxidizer Supply and have them deliver a pallet load.

I have had problems with some industrial suppliers wanting to see a resale permit as establishing my bona fides as a business. Usually, when I explain that I am not in a "product sales" business, but rather, providing consulting and research services, which are not taxable, and wish to avoid the overhead of a seller's permit, and then provide them with a copy of my business license and P.E. license, that does the trick. There ARE places that can't sell retail.. they have deliberately implemented their business processes so they can't collect sales tax. In such a case, I can't use them, but usually, there are other suppliers.

This does present a problem for the small scale researcher or experimenter without any affiliation with a larger institution.

Jim