Re: Xfmrs

Hi Jim,

Nothing I've learned with HV has been by study alone (I mean, really learned). However, as Skip also mentioned in an offline response, experience without first studying can be very dangerous with HV. He is absolutely correct. I agree with that line of thought wholeheartedly. There's nothing wrong with building a hv power transformer, a hv resonant transformer, or other similar device, but you better be aware of the dangers and precautionary methods before doing it or you risk life and limb for yourself and others.

We were having a problem at work this week. High voltage spikes freaking out an h-bridge controller (PID situation). I hooked up the scope and tracked it to 2 brake solenoids. I just happen to have two ultrafast 600V 30A diodes in my bag of tricks. No more spikes, no more controller glitches. The very highly educated engineer who built the system asked me "how did you know how to fix it?". I gave him an "odd" look and simply grinned. He bought me lunch that day (said it was the least he could do). The problem was solved by "understanding" the cause of the problem (studying) and how to induce coil recirculation during the emf event (knowledge and past experience).

Ok Jim, whatever you do, don't bring up "wisdom". After all, we all build hv resonant transformers (grin). The wise thing to do is find another hobby. We do however advance our common sense with everything we learn (by studying and doing).

Take care,
Bart