Re: Toroids

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

You also might consider a "ring of small spheres". Very large impulse generators are built in this manner using many small toroids to approximate a very large 20 x 30 ft dia sphere. A ring of small spheres applied to Tesla coils might also offer good electrostatic field control. Instead of using 4 large spheres like Terry did, you could approximate a good toroid with a ring of 8 or 12 smaller spheres.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "Dave" <dgoodfellow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

How do you expand a ball? I find that toroids do better at controlling corona at the top turns of the secondary, where balls need to be placed as low as possible, at the top of the secondary. A coil would look great with an insulator between the secondary and the ball, but the corona becomes unmanagable. By the way, since Waterscapes stopped selling gazing balls at the nice price, I have found the best overall price and service from Amazon.com Best price for an 8" is from artywoods on ebay. Don't look up 8" though, search stainless gazing, and you will see his 7.65" gazing ball for about $18.00

Cheers, Dave Goodfellow