The ideal DC coil power supply? RE: RE: Xfmrs

At 03:37 PM 3/2/2007, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

If you just want something that's more than an NST but
less than a pig, 120 volts input, small enough to
carry/roll around easily, consider a PT:
<snip>

If you just want to build a mini-pig then go for it.
But if you want portability, I doubt you'll be able to
get something as powerful, small, light as a PT.

What I'd like to see is a 15-20 kV DC supply that I can do triggered spark gap coils with. Say, 10 kW average power (30-40 Amps off 240V line). Doesn't need great regulation (actually, a constant current source might be ideal), but does need fairly low ripple (because I don't want line frequency hum). Oh yeah.. I'd like low stored energy on the HV side so it doesn't blow things up (no giant DC filter capacitor to get rid of ripple).

Actually, I wonder if you could design it so it had the equivalent of the inductor and diode in a resonant charging (that is, when the gap fires, it shuts down for a short time to allow the gap to quench, and then turns back on). It would be easy to give it an enable/disable that's synchronized with the gap trigger. It's simple to turn a PWM on and off, but the output of the supply is going to have to take the abuse of the ringing on the primary capacitor (i.e. the output will swing negative), so it might not just be a matter of gating the switcher on and off.

Say if it weighed 20 lbs and was "milk crate" sized that would be fine. (after all, the 30A power cord is going to weigh a substantial amount)...