Re: Describing coils by their diameter, was Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 11:50:32 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Describing coils by their diameter, was Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd)

I understand what you are saying but in reality most people who aim and get
good performance have a height to width of around 4-5 times (say 20%) so it
is perhaps not that variable.  In contrast I have never in my coiling
experience been able to say my coil uses x watts to 20% accuracy. And I have
a true KW meter. Current draw depends chaotically on load of the
streamer/arc and the firing of ARSG's particularly. SRSG's may be more
stable.  Sure, this can be averaged by an analog meter but it still varies
and also makes no allowance for power factor. Put a capacitor across the
line and suddenly your coil is a lot more efficient.  Electronic readouts
tend to go nuts with the chaotic load.
I wonder how many coils are limited by breakdown voltage.  I suspect very
few. It has never happened to me with sparks up to 3 times the secondary
length on a 6x32 inch coil. Racing arc problems are fixed by altering
coupling and primary hits are almost prevented by a second toroid.
Cheers, Peter
http://tesladownunder.com