Re: Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd) -> Streamer length to voltage (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:53:15 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd) -> Streamer length to voltage (fwd)

I agree, streamer length of random free air spark lengths is not useful
to predict top terminal voltage. This just can't be done. There are too
many variables involved. We can guestimate, but that guestimate can vary
a great deal.

The last item I remember for the TSSP: we were involved with accurately
measuring the top voltage at the terminal. This is where the TSSP
stopped (incase anyone is wondering). There were plenty of theory's of
how to measure it, but there were just as many downfalls in about every
theory (much debate and head scratching). I think the technology to do
this was met with real concern to be accurate, and each possibility (the
latest devices of the day) were looked at. Maybe the technology to do
this is just beyond us. It was an amazing time in the TCML. I hate to be
broken, but when it comes to top terminal voltage, this is not a trivial
task for a high frequency/high voltage resonant transformer. Without
considering a lot of the detail, some will say "use a capacitive
divider" or other mechanism, but those have all been considered (believe
me). It was those type of discussions that were debated. If we could
actually measure top voltage without affecting the resonant status of
the coil, the project might actually continue. The future in this area
is completely open.

Take care,
Bart